Thursday, December 11, 2008

Bon Voyage ~ The ship part 2

The first day, Saturday and Sunday we enjoyed some much needed leisure time...no wondering where Tate has run off too or what he just put in his mouth. No telling Kai to stop kicking and hitting his brother for the 3rd time this hour. We just laid on the deck with our books, read, ate lots of junk and got sunburned. What a blast!!!
As I mentioned there was food everywhere, even after meal times the pool has a deck with a buffet going most of the time. It was only closed during dinner hours.

The evening meals were really special. It is not necessary to eat at the dining area every night because there is always food to be found. Our idea of eating out at a nice restaurant is a little hole in the wall Mexican place and PF chang's, so we were not going to miss this opportunity to eat in a nice dining area, with amazing gourmet meals and be waited on hand and foot! Your every wish is the waiter's command...well just about.
If you order steak but you want a different side they bring you the steak with the sides it is served with plus the extra side. If you want to order the steak and chicken plate they bring you both with all the sides....if you want to try 4 appetizers Go for it! They bring it all! And you can imagine....dessert....try one of each! We didn't go that far, and besides by the second night we had discovered heaven on earth.
A small bowl of dessert which looked quite innocent. The top was a chocolate cake, with a small sprinkling of powered sugar. But when your spoon broke through the top you discover the need for self control ..and working out!!! HAHA The inside was a melted rich dark chocolate that I could not even begin to give justice to with my words. So if you dare, go on a cruise and order it! WARNING go on your diet several months before the trip....
Sunday was formal night. Dinner is served in a nice dining room with china and nice glassware. Cloth napkins and waiters wearing tuxedo's. The lights are dim giving an atmosphere of romance but not so dark you can't visit and enjoy the other dinner guests. Each table is assigned certain guests, we were with a couple that only came twice so we really ended up by ourselves. Either way we did not mind. It would have been a blast to go with a few friends....you know who you are!!! For formal night my sister had prepared me, having gone on 2 cruises before us. She loaned me a beautiful formal dress, it was black trimmed in pink. The train was long, had tiny straps and beautiful pink embroidered flowers down the train. I was so excited to get dressed up. We never have the opportunity to get dressy so I was really excited about my chance. But because of my foolishness that day and my choice of bathing suit, I had a very red v-neck sun burn on my chest that I was too embarrassed to let people see.....so I went with another option, cute but nothing as formal as I had planned. It was disappointing but definitely did not ruin the trip. That evening was lobster night...a meal David had been much looking forward too. He ordered two! I couldn't even get through one...new discovery.... not my favorite food.

After dinner at 8:00 we changed from our fancy duds to our bathing suits and went to the hot tubs. We loved being on a boat where everything is right there. Usually on vacation you spend so much time getting ready and going out that you get back to the room and just want to watch tv or veg....since everything is right there we enjoyed the hot tub for a little while got out and froze due to the wind...and then changed and enjoyed an evening show...can't remember much about the show but I was not impressed. I enjoyed the comedians and the cruise director was hilarious! But in my opinion teh show was not worth the time...just a personal opinion.

Well that was day 1 and 2... Stay tuned, DAY 3 was my favorite day! Although the 4th day was when I captured my FAVORITE picture of the entire trip....I guess you will just have to keep coming back to see what made it the best for me! I hope that peeks your interest!





Look at my red face.....well you should have seen me 2 days after the cruise my tan was great! But of course it is long gone now!






Formal Night, we are in the front of the dining area.

3 comments:

Jacquie Von Hohn said...

oh so fun! I want to go on a cruise

Camille, Blake, Pierce and baby Asher said...

Wow... you guys know how to get dressed up and look nice... wow.... the food sounds great especially that chocolate thing... did you come home and start running... I am so excited that you loved it and did not worry about the kids.. can't wait for day 3 and 4.

Allison said...

PSA - If you go on a cruise know yours (and your cruising partner's) personalities. My hubby hated being stuck on the ship. He was bored 12 hours into it! Ha! I (like you two) could have lounged around, ate and read a book for 5 days straight, but D would have been in the psych ward by then I'm sure!
I'm so glad you guys were able to relax and enjoy yourselves. Cant wait to hear about the rest of the trip!